Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Breaking In...

So, I have a new tool in my kitchen.  Well, it's not necessarily a new to my kitchen item, it is NEW, though.  

Look at it!  

 

Isn't it magnificent?  

I have researched and studied over the years, trying to decide what kind of cutting board I should have, what size I would really use, how much money I should spend...A QUALITY cutting board has become a necessity for me.  I love watching the cooking shows and have dreamed of that black walnut sitting on my counter.  I have heard my knife sing as it cuts across the surface of it in my sleep.  I know, obsessive, but it's true.  I knew no other board would do.  I knew I wanted an end grain cutting board, but didn't feel like I could justify paying what a walnut cutting board would cost in the size I felt I would need.  I mean, really, $300-400 for a slab of wood?  Granted, it would last my lifetime if treated properly.  It just didn't feel right, so I have watched for sales, scoured websites, looked in every kitchen store I have ever been in and have never been able to bring myself to purchase one.  I DO feel you get what you pay for and that setting yourself up with quality tools will help you to actually get yourself into the kitchen, so I have not been able to let it go.  I DO NOT own every gadget out there.  I own quality tools that multitask.  So, how to solve the disparity between what I really need, what I really want, and what I can afford?  UGH!

 Imagine my utter joy when I came across John Loftis and Lone Star Artisans:  http://www.lonestarartisans.com/.  I swear that my heart stopped as I perused the pages of his website, seeing quality cutting boards for *gasp* affordable prices.  I did not see the large board I wanted, but did find a custom build feature.  I quickly put in my specs and sent off my inquiry.  I had a reply from John in 24 hours.  He was so wonderful to work with and I had the board of my dreams in about 3 weeks' time.  I tell you, the heavens sang as I opened that box.  I unwrapped the bubble wrap to find fresh oil soaking the paper it was wrapped in, knowing it had been freshly treated.  I couldn't wait to try out my board!  I had an epiphany as I looked in my frig and came up with what you see below.  It is inspired by the ingredients in my frig.  It is truly a dish I just came up with off the top of my head-a near first for me.
The board was fabulous to use...I have nothing else to say.  GET YOURSELF A FABULOUS CUTTING BOARD!  If you don't want a cutting board, check out the other things John and the other artisans make at http://www.lonestarartisans.com/  I have NO doubt it will be top quality and your service will be top notch!

No comments:

Post a Comment